Saturday, January 2, 2016

Dev Blog #1: Announcing Cargo!

Today, I'm pleased to announce some details regarding my next game for #1GAM: Cargo!


Cargo is a game about skill, resource management, and blatant disregard for posted speed limits. You are a trucker out on the open road trying to make a buck (or, you know, a million), and you must use every tool at your disposal to achieve your goal! Drive fast and weave madly through traffic, collect money for a job well done, and upgrade your rig to increase performance and profit! But watch out: The police are out and about, and they're always ready to chase a trouble-making trucker like yourself!



I've been developing this game for the past few days using the Construct Classic game engine by Scirra, which is available for free on SourceForge. Its been a while since I've used a game making tool like this, but I'm pleased to say that Construct is pretty intuitive.

The simple drag-and-drop general interface of Construct Classic.

I've made quite a bit of progress thus far, and have the controls, traffic and pickups, truck condition, MPH, relative world speed, and scrolling background up and running. The art is mostly still in a placeholder state, though I'm happy with the way the general traffic cars and the roads look.


 
Please ignore the hideous placeholder grass art.








At the rate at which development is going, I'm hoping that I can include most of the features I have in mind by the time of the due date. Here are a few more screenshots to help get you excited for this game!

Condition meter tracks the damage done to your truck.

Most cars travel at or near the speed limit. You will not ;)

A repair pickup, whizzing by at breakneck speed.
As always, thanks for reading this far, and be sure to check back regularly for updates! Bye for now!

(P.S. Happy belated New Year!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment