Monday, May 9, 2016

Dev Blog #12: Busy Weekend!

Woah! Hey everyone, how's it going? You may realize that I'm a day late with my blog post. Aaaaahhh! D:

It has been a very busy weekend for me, but to be honest, I just forgot, so it's completely my fault! But, I'm posting this as an update right quick, so nothing lost! (I hope!)

Development on Torso Ninja II has been progressing decently. I spent most of this week creating a method that will allow me to script enemy spawns and bullet patterns for levels, independent of the source code. What does that mean for you? It means a certain level of client-side customization! If you're willing to learn a simple markup language (and calling it a "language" is a real stretch), you can modify the levels yourself!

I made this scripting method to speed up development on TN2 ("Hey, Erik, cool acronym!" they said. "Hey, Internet, thanks!" I replied). I have big dreams for it, and hope to maybe expand it into a sort of development method for making simple scrolling shooters. I used to mess around with the M.U.G.E.N. fighting game engine, so I was thinking of doing something like that (on a much smaller scale, of course) with shmups. Who knows if I'll be able to actually get around to it, but if so, hooray! :)

On another note, I've also been working on the music to I'm going to be using for TN2 a lot this week. I make my music in the Linux Multimedia Studio (LMMS, Windows version in my case). Following is a picture of LMMS as I use it, since this article needs some visuals ;)

My DAW of choice, the wonderfully free LMMS.

I feel like I've generally been improving with my music-making skills as time has went on, and I hope for Torso Ninja II to be my most musically-accomplished work yet. I'm making the music early (unusual for me) and I've already got a couple of songs that sound okay, or so I think. At the very least, the soundtrack should be better than the original Torso Ninja (not that it's much of a horse race).

So there ya go, my day-late update :) See you next week, hopefully on-time!

No comments:

Post a Comment